When it comes to wedding planning, the mother of the bride is often is at the center of the decision-making process. The mother of the bride dress is considered as an integral part of the wedding ceremony. It should not be overlooked at all, after all, she will be standing up in front of everyone and deserves to look her best.
If you are looking for a way to stand out in your mother of the bride dress? Whether you’re attending a formal wedding event or just a casual family gathering, you want to look your best and make a lasting impression. Here are some tips to help you stand out in your mother of the bride dress.
1. Opt for a Bold Color: When it comes to mother of the bride dresses, you don’t have to stick to the traditional black or navy. Go for a bold color like royal, pink, purple or even a bright pattern to stand out from the crowd. Please note that you would need to consider the season. If the wedding is in the spring or summer, you may want to choose a bright and cheerful color such as yellow, pink, or coral. For a fall or winter wedding, you may want to opt for a richer hue such as burgundy, berry, or Hunter
Also, the color palette of the wedding would help guide you on the colors that would work for you. For instance, if the bridesmaids’ dresses are in muted pink, you may want to choose a color in Fuchsia for the mother of the bride dress. That is daring bold and would still complement the wedding colors.
Consider your body type when choosing a dress. The mother of the bride dress will make you stand out if it flatters your body type. If you are curvy with an hourglass figure, a sheath style gown or a wrap dress would emphasize your small waist and flatter your curves. Always look out for dresses that will highlight your curves and flatter your body type. If you are pear-shaped figure, an A-line dress, a fit and flare or a ball gown would be perfect as it de-emphasizes your lower part and gives a perfect balance.
Make sure you are comfortable in your chosen outfit. You can only stand out when you are comfortable in your outfit. Wear what you are most comfortable in, not what fashion designers are pushing to market.
2. Accessorize: Accessories can take your look to the next level. A statement necklace, earrings, and a stylish clutch are all great ways to add a touch of glamour to your outfit. Remember you don’t want to blend in with the guests. You are a VIP at your daughter’s wedding and your outfit needs to reflect that.
Just a small note here. It's the bride's day so this isn't the day to experiment or be outrageous with jewelry, you will want to keep it classy and simple, and not overdo it. If your dress is a very simple choice, you can go ahead and go big on the necklace to take the outfit from simple to glam. Overall, the mother of the bride's accessories should be significant enough to show that she's the host, but not in any way overshadow the bride’s look. It's all about finding the right balance.
3. Choose an Unusual Silhouette: Instead of a traditional A-line dress, try something a little more daring like an off-the-shoulder or one-shoulder dress. These silhouettes will help you stand out from the crowd. You want to look elegant not frumpy. Avoid matronly dresses that would make you look older than your age. If you prefer to have your shoulders and arms covered, opt for a cape dress. They have a way of covering up without looking too conservative. Cape always helps create a nice flow and elegance to an outfit.
4. Showcase Your Style: Don’t be afraid to show off your personal style. If you’re more of a boho-chic type, try a long dress with a floral print. this would be perfect for spring /summer wedding that are semi- formal or completely informal. If you rather go for a short dress rather than a long dress, it’s totally your choice. If you’re not comfortable wearing dresses, ditch the dresses, there are other dress alternatives to try such as pantsuits, jumpsuits or even separates. If you are the classic type, go for jacket dresses or long formal gowns. The outfit you choose should always reflect your personal style or preference, not what other people want, but what represents your style.
5. Make a Statement: Make a statement with your dress by choosing a dress with an eye-catching detail. A beaded bodice, a ruffled skirt, or a sparkly belt are all great ways to add a touch of drama to your look. Most mother of the bride dresses have fabrics that have a little bit of sparkle to it, such as sequin, beads, stones. These are great options to make a statement without overshadowing the bride.
6. Finally, don’t forget about shoes! A really nice pair of dressy shoes can elevate your look or drag it down. Make sure to choose a pair of shoes that would complement your outfit and take it to the next level! It is important to have comfortable heels or wedges that will keep you looking and feeling your best all day long. Style and comfort should go hand in hand. It’s better to go with a lower inch heel and be comfortable throughout the day than having blisters on your feet and uncomfortable most of the time.
No matter what your style is, you can find a mother of the bride dress that will help you stand out from the crowd. With the right dress and a few accessories, you’ll be sure to make a lasting impression. We know that this special event is mostly about the bride and groom, but it’s an important day for you too. You would want it to be a fun and memorable time. So, make sure your choice of outfit reflects your style and makes you happy. You deserve to shine!
If you are looking for a mother-of-the-bride dress, we have got you covered. At SleekTrends, you are the VIP, not an afterthought. We believe the right outfit can change everything. Check out our thoughtfully curated mother of the bride and groom collection here. Your celebration starts with us!